The legal red tape holding up Rangers‘ takeover is likely to be rubber-stamped by the end of April – and could tie in with Patrick Stewart’s big grilling from Rangers fans.
The recently appointed Ibrox CEO has confirmed he will hold his first ever face to face meeting with supporters in three weeks’ time, where he’s set to be put on the spot over the future of stand-in boss Barry Ferguson and the proposed San Francisco 49ers-backed takeover.
It comes just as prospective new owner Andrew Cavenagh and his American consortium are expected to finalise their multi-million pound buyout.
Ferguson’s position in the dugout is also almost certain to be raised as the clock ticks down on his three month stint as Philippe Clement’s interim replacement.
There could be some awkward questions for the CEO to face – particularly if Celtic already have the Premiership title by the time the meeting takes place on April 23, a distinct possibility highlighted by our man Michael Gannon on tonight’s Hotline Live. It would only underline the club’s recent struggles and need for change in the eyes of fans.
But it’s the imminent sale of more than 50 per cent of the club’s shares and transfer of power to Cavenagh and the San Francisco 49ers which will dominate the agenda as supporters wait for the deal to be rubber-stamped.
Record Sport broke the stunning news back in February that the NFL giants were helping to finance a US bid for control. Then we revealed that Philadelphia-based health insurance tycoon Cavenagh was fronting up the American move.
Cavenagh then arrived in Glasgow on March 13 to watch Ferguson’s side knock Jose Mourinho’s Fenerbahce out of the Europa League to reach the quarter finals.
His four-man delegation was given a VIP tour of the club’s Auchenhowie training HQ and discussed plans to upgrade the facility before crossing the city divide to attend a thrilling 3-2 Old Firm derby win at Parkhead.
Record Sport has been told a complex agreement is likely to be legally approved before the end of this month – which could tie in with the timing of Stewart’s meeting with the punters.
In an email to fans the club said: “Rangers Football Club is pleased to invite supporters to the upcoming CEO Fans’ Forum, which will take place on Wednesday 23 April at Edmiston House.
“While the club has hosted fans’ forums previously, this will be the first to be led by Chief Executive Officer, Patrick Stewart.
“He will be joined on the evening by members of the club’s senior management team, who will provide updates across a range of key areas and take questions from supporters on a variety of topics.”
Follow Record Sport on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram for all of the up-to-the minute breaking news, video and audio on the SPFL, the Scotland national team and beyond.
You can get all the news you need on our dedicated Rangers and Celtic pages, and sign up to our newsletters to make sure you never miss a beat throughout the season.
We’re also on WhatsApp where we bring all the latest breaking news and transfer gossip directly to you phone. Join our Rangers community here and our Celtic community here.
Tune in to Hotline Live every Sunday to Thursday and have your say on the biggest issues in Scottish football and listen to Record Sport’s newest podcast, Game On, every Friday for your sporting fix, all in bitesize chunks.